Notes |
- From Nürnberger Künstlerlexikon: Bildende Künstler, Kunsthandwerker, ...
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=3110912961
Grunhofer, Christoph, tradesman, benefactor, died between 21 Sept. and 14 Dec. 1519 in Nuremberg. Married Ursula ( died June 1527 ), daughter of Hans Schlüsselfelder II. Since 1486 provable. 1501-19 named. In 1497, he donated to the St Sebaldus Church [ across the Albrecht-Dürer-Platz from the Old City Hall ] a vestment of blue damask with gold stars, which was provided with the escutcheons of the Grunters and the Schüsselfelders. Around 1500, his property was estimated by Christoph Scheurl at 1000 florins. He owned the property at Heugäßchen [ “Hay Alley”, 355 yards east of St Sebaldus Church ] 6 in 1492, the same year he bought the house at Heugäßchen 12. In 1509 he bought the house at Heugäßchen 9. In 1501 he bought the manor of Hummelstein [ now a neighborhood on the south side of Nuremberg, 1.6 miles southeast of St Sebaldus Church ]. In 1509 he appeared in the final statement on the printing of the Schedelschen Weltchronik [ Schedel's Chronicle of the World ], which he had probably co-financed. Lit.: Roth. 1802; Hampe, 1928, p. 193; Zahn, 1991, p. 188; Kohn, NHb Sebald.
From Wilbur Hanson Kalb
It was the publication of the Nuremberg Chronicle. Published in 1493, it was an instant bestseller in both Latin and German, not just in Germany but all over Europe. Only the Holy Bible sold better. The scholars and the Church knew the Nuremberg Chronicle by its Latin title, Liber Chronicarum [ Book of Chronicles ] but everybody else, including Christoph Grunhofer, knew it by its German title, Der Schedelschen Weltchronik.
Grunhofer might have thought that he was making money from a sure thing but the 1509 summary showed that 539 Latin editions and 60 German editions were still left in stock. Perhaps the prices might have been a problem — the version with black-and-white illustrations cost three guilders but the one with hand-colored illustrations cost six guilders. But Grunhofer shouldn’t feel disappointed. That book was still, as the late Ed Sullivan might say, a “really big deal” and Grunhofer will forever be in the books in all languages about the Nuremberg Chronicle so he really did get his money’s worth after all.
You can read more about the Nuremberg Chronicle at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Chronicle and its author, Dr Hartmann Schedel ( 1440 - 1514 ), at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartmann_Schedel. The illustrators were Michael Wohlgemut and his step-son, Wilhelm Pleydenwurff, with assistance from Albrecht Dürer and possibly the Rosenthaler Brothers. Here’s an example of their labors from the book, a traveler’s view of Nuremberg, with St Sebaldus’s Church identified. This printing is used as Christoph's portrait.
http://www.herrensitze.com/hummelstein.html
Hummelstein
Figure location and directions
Manor house, former fortified manor house
Hummelstein 45
City of Nuremberg
One of the better known fortified manor houses in the south of the city of Nuremberg is Hummelstein. Its formation was preceded by the fact that the council of the imperial city in 1487 the Council jur. Nikolaus Hummel on inheritance several ponds left. In May 1487, the acquirer was then allowed to "pawen a lusthewlein" to his weyer, which should receive a massive basement storey. After the death of Nikolaus Hummel in 1501, the new summer residence came to Christoph Grünhofer. Allegedly, the Weiherhaus is said to have been destroyed in 1502 in connection with the Battle of Affalterbach by troops of the Margrave Casimir. However, in the exploration of the land area ordered by the council shortly before the outbreak of the Landshut War of Succession in 1504, "the Hummels weyerhaus" was noted with no restrictions whatsoever.
The seat fell in 1520 Anton Tetzel, after the widow Ursula Grünhofer was in financial trouble and had to sell. Wolf Horneck soon became the owner and in 1526 had a very extensive conversion carried out, which brought with it a significant expansion and attachment of the seat. In this measure, a outside corridor was built with four round corner towers as a punishment, provoking the Margrave to a vain suit at the Imperial Court.
In 1528, the new headquarters was in the hands of Dr. Ing. Sebald Horneck, who at that time was privileged by the council with a firewood law. This message also makes it clear that the seat was not a traditional, forested property. On Horneck followed by a marriage with Ursula Horneck of Montanunternehmer Kilian Flentz as owner. He was co-owner of the mining company Flentz & Tramel, which also operated the metallurgical plant at Dutzendteich. Flentz probably died before 1550. As a widow Ursula Flentz experienced in the Second Margrave War, as the castle was burnt down on May 24, 1552.
The ruin was initially not rebuilt. After the death of the widow, the destroyed property was sold by the heirs to the Nuremberg citizen and merchant Christoph Freydell / Friedell. The remains of the three-storey, tower-like main building were demolished and replaced by a building with a massive earthwork and a timber-framed upper floor, which was not built exactly in the old location. It is not certain whether the construction report from 1583, according to which Freydell's son of the same name had applied to the forestry department Timber for the "projecting speeches half to Hummelstein", refers to this building or outbuilding. The younger Freydell died in early 1591 leaving behind underage children. Their guardians Hummelstein sold in March 1593 to the robe dealer Melchior Büttel.
Apparently, the new building under the previous owner was not just high-quality, because around 1607 he was already considerably dilapidated and for Büttels claims too small. After the originally planned extension of the forestry office had been prohibited, Büttel wanted 1607 still satisfied with an expansion of the roof and the renovation of the stables and the gardener's apartment. In 1613 he decided then but to demolish the mansion and a three-storey new building on the bottom of the 1552 destroyed castle.
However, the imperial city wanted to enforce a restriction to a two-storey construction, as the second floor of the destroyed predecessor allegedly consisted only of a gun ground, were placed on the four cannons. The death of Büttel in 1614 and the outbreak of the 30-year war prevented further measures, which had also been pursued for a time by the community of heirs. She then agreed to a transfer to co-heir Veit Christoph Büttel, who emigrated to 1625 to Amsterdam. Büttel's brother-in-law, the Princely Brandenburg Councilor Christoph Agricola, married to Anna Sabina Büttel, acquired the seat as curator of his two underage daughters. Agricola wanted 1639 expand the stables in the forecourt. He did not stick to building regulations and argued for many years with the forest office and the council of the imperial city. The authorities also accused him of operating unauthorized cookers and transferring landmarks.
Probably by marriage with Anna Maria Agricola Georg Waldmann arrived from Neustadt / Aisch to the property, which is said to have sold him, meanwhile considerably dilapidated, before 1683 to the council clerk Johann Wöhrlein. In 1691, Dr. med. Michael Friedrich Lochner the degenerate Ansitz. Lochner was a well-known naturalist, was one of the Nuremberg scholar circle around Johann Christoph Volkamer and later became director of the Leopoldina, the Imperial Academy of Sciences in Vienna. In Hummelstein, the scientist first created an artful bitter orange and lemon garden, which included the construction of an orangery for wintering the plants. On this occasion, it was first known that the Swedes in 1632 had created a hill in the castle garden, which has now been eliminated. After Dr. Lochner 1703 had built a new horse stable, he requested in 1706 the new building of the manor, whose dilapidation allegedly no longer allowed a safe dwelling. In the end, the new building was transformed into an extensive conversion and extension. 1710 was followed by a major renovation of the economy building and 1720 the Voithaus.
With the death of the builder in 1720 Hummelstein fell to the daughter Anna Maria, with the doctor. Christoph Ludwig Goeckel was married. From this marriage, four sons emerged, who inherited in 1759, but apparently did not even leave male heirs. The widow of Dr. jur. Heinrich Lorenz Goeckel sold the estate in 1774 to the deacon of St. Lawrence Hieronymus Conrad Wagner. The new owner had to endure in 1814 the seizure of the castle by the imperial Russian army. The military set up a powder and cartridge factory in the manor, causing great damage to the equipment. Even the ornate fountain in the garden should have been destroyed on this occasion.
After Wagner's death in 1820 had the daughter Carolina Maria, widowed Balbach, the manor until 1855. The Rostock Consul Paul Howitz acquired him and let the mansion by Karl Alexander Heideloff neo-Gothic redesign. According to plans of the master builder, the historicist chapel was also built in the garden, where Howitz was buried in 1880. The Heirs community Howitz sold the manor in 1895 to the city of Nuremberg, in 1925 at the castle create a school garden. In the bombing nights of the Second World War, the main building was only partially damaged, but the chapel was destroyed in 1944. Today, the city maintains an environmental education center in the mansion.
|